International Waters and Barge Traffic

International waters are open to paddlers but if contact is made with the shore or sea bottom on the other side, you need to report your arrival to Canadian Customs and your return to U.S. Custom officials. the Canada Border Services Agency or U.S. Customs and Border Protection.

Freighters and large commercial vessels travel throughout the Great Lakes. Remember that they have right-of-way and may be limited in their ability to spot or respond to the movement of smaller crafts.

Financial assistance for this project was provided, in part, by the Michigan Coastal Zone Management Program, Office of the Great Lakes, Department of Environmental Quality, under the National Coastal Zone Management Program, through a grant from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, U.S. Department of Commerce and the Sault Ste. Marie Tribe of Chippewa Indians.

Please Note:
By using this website you certify that you understand, accept and agree to the "Michigan Great Lakes Water Trails Safety Statement."