Weather conditions on the Great Lakes can change with very little warning, both extreme heat and cold may be a factor on your trip, as may fog, precipitation and changing winds. NOAA and the National Weather Service provide current conditions for the Great Lakes here, current marine forecasts here, and Daily Streamflow Conditions here.
- Sea Kayaks (16-19 feet) are recommended for use on the Great Lakes
- ALWAYS wear a life jacket!
- Dress appropriately, consider both air and water temperatures, protective footwear
- Two signaling devises, whistle, cell phone, Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon, VHF Radio, or waterproof flashlight
- Bring water, maps, and sunscreen or a hat